Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Section 1

When i think of Psychology, I think of the mind and illnesses of the mind. I didn't know how much more there was to Psychology, such as there are many people who had a big role in studying Psychology and that there are varieties of different psychological perspectives, such as cognitive and evolutionary. I never really thought that there were different kinds of psychology, I just thought it delt with just the mind. I never thought in depth that there is way more to psychology than just that.

Psychology affects everyone's life. It makes you the way you are. You either get it from your genes or the environment. People influence others everyday. This teaches others to behave the same way without even knowing it. It affects your life my making you the person you are. Psychology is in many forms, such as your emotions and feelings. You deal with them everyday. Pyschology affects you by controlling your feelings and actions. It deals with your brain and allows for you to react to things around you.

I learnt the three influences of psychology. They are biological, psychological, and social-cultural. I thought it was intriguing because, I never really thought about different influences. I only thought it came from people around you influencing you. It all makes sense now that you could be the way you are because of your genes, culture, and many other reasons. I also learnt that there are more than one type of psychologist. There are counseling, which helps people cope with problems and clinical, which treats mental disorders, etc. I thought it was intriguing because, I only believed that one person did all those jobs. I didn't realize there are many people who do different jobs including Psychology. I also thought it was intriguing that Mary Calkins became the first woman to be prsident of the American Psychological Association. I thought that was very cool that a women could have such an impact back then when women were considered under class.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you with the thing about Mary Calkins. I think it is very interesting that she could become president of the association even though she was a woman and was denied her degree at Harvard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was so much involved with Psychology either. I do think that our environment and our genetic make-up decide our psychological developments though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also didn't realize there was so much involved in Psychology. I believe that our genetic makeup and the environment both have an impact on our psychological develepments, but I believe that the environment and the way we were raised has a bigger influence. You can be born to mentally "sick" parents and turn out fine even though you have their genes. It depends on how the environment and people around you have shaped and influenced you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked how you commented about Mary Calkins. Its ironic that she was the first President even though she was denied her degree. I agree that you use Psychology in your everyday life. without it, there wouldnt be life pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you when you say that you used to think that psychology was only influenced by those around us. I never thought about the nature v. nurture issue in-depth until this class. I've realized how big of an impact other factors such as genes can have on psychological studies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree that a women president is amazing. I hope more and more women step up to the oppertunity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that psychology affects everyones' lives daily in every shape and form. I think it was very empowering for a female to be president even after she was denied her degree! I think it would be very interesting to study social-culture psychology just to learn and see how other cultures interact!

    ReplyDelete