Monday, September 21, 2009

Blog Post #2

Research is important because it helps establish truth in science by evaluating and testing what we believe to be true. Without research, anybody could say anything,and there would be nothing to back up their statement as truthful or deceitful. For instance, without research we would not know whether vegetables are good or bad for you. Those who don't like vegetables would readily tell you they are not good for you. Research would establish the truth.

The acceptance prophecy is an example of research that is relevant to my life. It showed that if you believe that someone likes you, you will tend to act more warmly towards them, thereby portraying a more likeable personality. This will lead people to have a more positive attitude towards you. The self-fulfilling prophecy of expecting to be liked, therefore, comes true. People who are worried about not being liked by others can change their demeanor when they are conversing with someone they are worried about. By thinking that this person will automatically like them, they can help to make it come true.

One thing I have learned is that research does not always result in a black and white answer. There are many factors that might be involved that need to be considered. Researchers sometimes get unexpected results. This is important because I know to question the research results further and decide if all of the factors are taken into account before a conclusion was determined. I also learned that it is important to have a control group so you can measure your results against what is normal. Without the control group, there is nothing to compare your results to. I also learned that case studies can be used for research by looking at the background of individuals. Conclusions can be made. This doesn't require the typical independent and dependent variables, placebos, or what we would consider experiment procedures. It is important because sometimes events have already taken place in a person's life that leads to certain behaviors or problems. In this case, the experimenting has already taken place as the person lived his life.

2 comments:

  1. I think the idea of an acceptance propecy is really neat, and I definitely think it makes sense. I've heard that other people can tell when someone uncomfortable by our body language. If the other person senses discomfort, they'll be less apt to like the person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the acceptance prophecy and I think it happens everyday. I know that when I'm around people that I know like me I am more open and act positive towards them. While on the other hand if I'm not sure how they feel I tend to back off and have a more neutral attitude.

    ReplyDelete