I learned that my grandpa, Bernie, had a few of the same concerns that some kids have today like acne, and being allowed to date. He studied the same subjects but didn't have any advanced subjects. Some kids work today but get to keep their money and spend it as they wish. I learned that he had a hard working life for little pay. It surprised me that he didn't date in high school like most kids do today. He had an age limit to begin dating, whereas most kids today like myself get to choose when they would like to date. It seemed like a hard life, and I don't think that I would have liked to be restricted like he was. He also appears to have been poor, making his own clothes or receiving hand-me-downs.
My thoughts on the "Parenting and Adolescense" video are that I believe kids don't have any power, and it is true that we need our space. The most irritaing thing to me is when my parents talk to me when I just want to be left alone. Sometimes I just don't have anything to say to them and am not interested in what they have to say. I feel as an adolescent, I have had a tremendous amount of freedom to experiment with who I am and to test my limits. My parents trust me to stay out of trouble and have taught me well. I have earned my freedom. My time as an adolescent has given me confidence to meet new people and try new things. I think as an adult, I will be confident and socialize with many different networks.
One thing I have learned in Chapter 4 is that genes influence personality from the separated twins account. Identical twins were separated at birth. Years later, they were found out to have very similar life choices. This shows that we are destined at birth to have certain characteristics. Nature directs our lives very strongly. Even being separated from the environment does not change how nature expresses itself.
In Chapter 5, I learned that in a specific developmental stage of children, they do not have object permanence. If you cover up an object, they don't realize that it is still there. This happens with babies under 6 months old in the sensorimotor stage. I think that this is why babies have so much fun when you play peek-a-boo and why they are a bit startled when you remove the blanket. Also, when they drop an item off of their high chair, they don't look for it because they don't know that it is moved
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My grandpa didn't date in high school either. He was 25 years old when he started dating and then he met his wife. My grandpa said he patched his own clothes because he could't afford new ones. I think they had a hard life, but today we have so many decisions to make. The government is also a lot more involved in the activites we do.
ReplyDeleteMy grandma said she dated a little in high school. She said she started dating around 16. My grandma said that when she had all hand-made clothes until she got into high school and then her mother started buying her skirts and sweaters. They could only wear jeans on Fridays. But my grandma said there wasn't as much pressure on her to get good grades in school, she just did becasue she wanted to.
ReplyDelete